Aug 16, 2013

30 Day Challenge: Day 23

Day 23: A Book You've Wanted to Read for a Long Time

I have a long to-read list. But one that has been on there for a while is Maya Angelou’s I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. I even got as far as purchasing a paperback version of the book, but I have yet to open it. Something always comes up, or someone has been recommending me books that I end up reading first.

I have no specific reason for wanting to read this book; I just do. It’s described as a coming-of-age story that illustrates how strength of character and a love of literature can help overcome racism and trauma. I’m not big on more recent coming-of-age stories generally, but anything set in the first half of the 1900s, and anything written as an autobiography usually peaks my interest. Who knows, maybe it was the title itself that caught my eye. All that matters is that it is on my shelf, and hopefully someday soon I will read it.

-Desiree


Full disclosure: there are currently 27 books on my 'to-read' shelf on Goodreads. That's a lot of books, y'all. And I know--I KNOW--that's not the extent of the list. It would be too embarrassing to include them all. There is just so much to read and too little time to do so. You've got to be choosy, I guess, when it comes to books.

Tangentially, that is why I don't subscribe to the philosophy of finishing every book you pick up--too much good material out there to stick it out with the lackluster, the trite.

There are plenty of titles I could rattle off today, but I am going to take another route for today's prompt. 

The book I have most wanted to read for the longest time is not a book that hangs out on my shelf. It hasn't been on my nightstand for years. Actually, it's not even available! But soon...Oh-so-soon.

I've been waiting on The Goldfinch for years. YEARS, people. When I discovered The Little Friend by Donna Tartt, all I wanted to do was read everything she'd ever written. Short stories, journal entries, dissertations, poetry: Just. Everything. Finally, last year, it was announced that she had a new book heading our way this coming October. 

I have been shivering with anticipation ever since.

Is it October 22nd yet?

-Josh


No comments:

Post a Comment