Aug 19, 2013

30 Day Challenge: Day 24

Day 24: A Book You Wish More People Would Read

There are plenty of books that I wish more people would read. This morning, particularly, I would love it if Minneapolis drivers would read more books on how to appropriately use their turn signals or correctly stop for pedestrians. Or perhaps a novel that highlights the best way to interact with your barista! Or a collection of short stories that emphasizes how terribly offensive and inappropriate racist, homophobic, sexist, misogynist, or ethnocentric hate speech is an everyday life but especially in a cramped, freezing elevator at 8:30 in the morning.

But, you know, those are just random examples.


I wish more people would read books that I specifically recommend for them, and that's my answer/choice for today. I don't have a specific book I wish more people would read because I think different books are important to different people. Reading is an entirely intimate activity, and I believe that it's best shared with a work that, at times, feels like it was written for you. I've been around books the entire length of my life, and I have a certain affinity for finding a great match for individual readers. 

One of the best feelings in the world is recommending a book for someone and that someone falling in love with your choice. So: I guess my response to today's prompt is terribly selfish. But, I love to do it, and I'm good at. If the only result is people reading more? I think I can stand to be selfish for a blog or two.

-Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment